Saturday, November 29, 2008

Spaghetti sauce

Tonight's dinner was spaghetti, mainly because I'm tired from the past few days and also because I had Italian sausage that needed to be used up before it went bad.

Here's the sauce recipe:
  • One pound ground beef
  • One pound mild Italian sausage
  • One red onion, diced
  • One pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • One tablespoon butter
  • Three cloves garlic, pressed in garlic press or diced fine
  • Three bay leaves
  • One can Red Gold petite diced tomatos
  • One can Red Gold tomato sauce
  • 1/2 tsp adobo (Mexican seasoning)
  • Mexican oregano, black pepper, and sea salt to taste
In skillet, brown Italian sausage.  In same skillet, brown ground beef.  About half way through browning ground beef, add red onion.  When beef is browned and onion is clear, remove and set aside.  In same skillet, sauté mushrooms with butter and adobo until mushrooms are cooked.  Mix all ingredients in large saucepan and simmer over low heat at least 15 minutes.  Remove bay leaves before serving.

I've recently discovered adobo, a Mexican seasoning that seems to be a mix of salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic, along with other things I'm not as clear on.  (I don't have the brand linked, but the brand I do have doesn't appear to have a web presence.)  I've also discovered that Mexican spices are a fraction of the cost of those sold by traditional sellers like McCormick's.  For example, I bought a honking huge canister of celery salt in the "Mexican spices" section for $3, which is half the price of a canister a third the size from McCormick's in the regular spices section.  I can't tell any quality difference (if anything, the Mexican varieties are better), so really I don't know what McCormick's is up to with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment