Thursday, December 20, 2007

On Cade Metz

A few people have mentioned that Cade Metz, a reporter from the Register, has been contacting Wikipedians and asking them questions. Apparently he's mentioned that he keeps his sources confidential and is giving me as a reference. At least one person has suggested that there is some irony here ("I don't reveal my sources, just ask my source, [name]"). There is not, as he has permission to list me as a source.

I have given Cade two telephone interviews, and we have exchanged a number of emails. Cade has been fastidiously honorable in his reporting; he has been careful to quote me accurately and has not attributed to me any statement which I have not given him permission to do so. He has done nothing to abuse my trust, and I feel safe that he can be trusted.