Sunday, December 02, 2007

Open Letter to SlimVirgin

Dear SlimVirgin (no, I won't use your real name; we all know what it is anyway):

I've sent you a couple of private emails previously, but your really quite lunatic rantings on Wikipedia deserve a public reply as well. So, here we go:
  1. I have never tried to out another arbitrator on my blog. In fact, I have never tried to out anyone. This is defamatory, but as you are not a credible person it's not actionable.
  2. As far as I can recall I've never published on my blog any information that came to me directly from someone on the ArbCom that I didn't confirm by another source first. Any information in my blog that you think I got from the ArbCom I actually got from some other source. Wikipedia leaks like a sponge; I sometimes hear the same rumor from three or four sources. (No, I will not identify my sources.) The closest I've come to revealing information from ArbCom was to discuss my own reactions upon rereading an email from a former arbitrator on the ArbCom's lists. I don't believe that discussing my own reactions to an email is the same as revealing the email.
  3. I still haven't seen Durova's screed against !! (nor do I particularly care to; I've seen summaries of it from people who I have no reason to distrust that are more than sufficient to satisfy my curiosity), but I do have a very good idea who leaked it outside your circle of security. That person is not on the Arbitration Committee. There are people close to you who you evidently cannot trust, and those people are not on the Arbitration Committee.
Krimpet is correct: it is time for you to resign. Your paranoia is, here, being brought to bear on the collegial attitude of the Arbitration Committee. I speak from experience: being an Arbitrator is not easy. Your attempt to drive wedges between the Arbitrators by heinously accusing James of being untrustworthy is disgusting. Wikipedia relies on a collegial attitude founded in trust to meet its purpose. Wikipedia relies on having processes that are as transparent as possible. Your nonstop efforts to destroy that fundamental trust, and to build barriers to transparency, are vile and inexcuseable. If you cannot trust your fellow Wikipedians, then you should leave. If you refuse to leave, and persist in this toxic and destructive behavior, then the only reasonable option left to Wikipedia is to expel you for the toxic snake that you are. Enough is enough. Be gone with you. And kindly take what few minions (they are not friends, for those such as you are not capable of having friends) you have left with you.

13 comments:

  1. I very much agree on this. Wikipedia is supposed to be some kind of encyclopedia for mankind, and the powergames she's playing is intolerable nonsense that I will not stand for. I would say more, but I would like to preserve *some* dignity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the evidence

    http://www.wikitruth.info/index.php?title=Durova%27s_Sekret_Evidence

    ZOMG ATTACK SITE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure she knows where to find it if she wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading your link, I see that she's turning around and attacking me now too. She really cannot let anything go. Maybe she has so many enemies because she's always actively working to bring them back into the fold? Why else would she be trying to start up another conflict with me?

    She likes being the center of attention, and the best way to do that for her is to make Wikipedia a warzone. Unfortunately, the fighting cools down every so often, so she has to instigate some more of it. This latest list was a brilliant idea - I feel sorry for the poor saps who got caught up in it and used by SlimVirgin, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cyde, it has occurred to me that it's possible that the entire SlimVirgin thing is an extended troll. If this is, in fact, the case, it's just another reason to eject her and her cohorts in crime from the project. (And it's not as though she contributes much in the way of useful content; virtually all of her article writing is badly biased.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting theory (that all the SlimStuff is a big trolling event), but apparently just a conjecture rather than something with specific evidence (kind of like Durova's "sleuthing"... :-) ) If this is true, who do you think is in on it, and who is just duped by it? Is there a massive conspiracy perhaps involving people on both sides of the big Wikipedia fights of the last couple of years?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dan,

    It is indeed conjecture. The main reason for having it at all is that I have not been able to form a coherent theory of motivation for SlimVirgin's behavior. Of course, there is the distinct possibility that Slim is simply mentally ill, which would mean that her behavior cannot be rationally explained, but I prefer not to rely on mental illness as an explanation for behavior until all other explanations have been ruled out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly, I think you're being a little too hard on SlimVirgin here. These aren't "power games" or attempts to get attention; the fact is, she's convinced herself that her paranoia about her WP-related enemies is completely justified, and this is just a reflection of that. It may very well be justified - but either way, some people take harsh criticism very personally, and have a hard time being realistic about what it actually means. It's easy to assume that SlimVirgin is lashing out against her perceived enemies out of sheer malice, but I don't think that's necessarily the case.

    I'm not going to say she shouldn't resign, since that would obviously be the best thing for all concerned, but she has to work that out for herself. As long as she's able to convince herself that she was "forced" into leaving, she'll come back again and again, taking every decent opportunity to prove her detractors were wrong, and each time will be worse than the last.

    As for what to do in the meantime, I dunno... Are you religious?

    ReplyDelete
  9. One can hope or pray for redemption of a lost and troubled soul.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post. It is so amazing to me how vicious, unreasonable, and damn wrong Kelly can be when involved in conflicts on Wikipedia, and how sharp and correct she can be in commenting on a matter when not directly involved in it. You're a great Wikipedia asset Kelly, as long as you keep on staying out of Wikipedia.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess everybody gets more fair and objective when they see things from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All good, except that James is an arsehole, and he probably did do what she suggests.

    Mind you, Sarah could do with learning that there are not two distinct groups on Wikipedia that can be labelled "fucktards/nonfucktards" but generally just an enormous crew of fucktards and a few poor souls who are just getting on with it. You, Kelly, are of course in the greater group, because just getting on with it is not your style.

    ReplyDelete