Thursday, March 06, 2008

In case you weren't certain that Wikimedia is a cult...

The following little bits of log (from a channel best left unnamed):

<bastique> and I'm *still* not going to character assassinate him.
<bastique> He's an evil human being

Bastique is, of course, Cary Bass, Wikimedia's "volunteer coordinator" (a.k.a. the guy they pay to chat online). "Him" and "He" in the above refer to Danny.

I'm at a loss as to what "evil human being" is other than character assassination. Maybe Cary will stop in to explain.

Update: Some people have complained about a "lack of context". Fine, here's some more context:

<bastique> ********: I was there when Danny left
<bastique> I know what happened
<bastique> and I'm *still* not going to character assassinate him.
<bastique> I dont' believe in that shit

<bastique> ********: I had good wishes for it, until the last week
<bastique> I actually wished well for Danny
<bastique> i'm sorry I did
<bastique> He's an evil human being

I can't say that the context really helps Cary's case much here.... (Additional clarification: "it" above refers to Veropedia, Danny's competing encyclopedia project.)

Yet another update: Cary is now claiming that I "omitted" the portion of the log in which he "apologizes" to Danny for what he said above. However, nobody I know can find that log. Cary, stop lying. What you said was bad enough. Trying to deny having said it, or claiming that it doesn't count because you yelled "backsies", is just stupid. You are responsible for what you say.

12 comments:

  1. I guess he's using "evil" in the technical sense. In that context, "human being" reminds us that he's imperfect like the rest of us, and thus deserves a break. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The evil that men do lives after them.
    The good is often interred with their bones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly,

    Perhaps you could include the entire context?

    I did
    not register an account, takes too long. scream

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't see how that appears cultish. Look at the first comment by anon.

    ...me again

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's "oft interrèd".

    ReplyDelete
  6. While it's hard to figure out exactly what he meant from that little snipped, a reasonable reading would be that Cary Bass thinks Danny Wool acted out of malice in airing the WMF's dirty laundry, but the charges are essentially true, so he (Bass) won't participate in a strategy responding to the charges by attempting to discredit Wool's credibility via smearing him.
    (this strategy is sadly not unknown to certain members of the WMF)

    ReplyDelete
  7. so he (Bass) won't participate in a strategy responding to the charges by attempting to discredit Wool's credibility via smearing him.

    Of course not. He knows well that any one of a million minions would be more than happy to do it for him.

    Volunteerism and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well it's official, Cary's joined the liars brigade.

    Assuming "it" is Veropedia, then Cary tells different stories depending on who he's talking to.

    Told me day before yesterday that he still wishes the best for Danny and Veropedia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess he's using "evil" in the technical sense. In that context, "human being" reminds us that he's imperfect like the rest of us, and thus deserves a break. Right?

    I need to keep reminding myself that irony is wasted in a blog comment. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It'd be stranger if he called Danny a suppressive person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You call that context, you included no surrounding conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. *cricket* *cricket*

    ReplyDelete