Sunday, February 11, 2007

Death of Citizendium predicted

Well, what faint hope I had for Citizendium has been clearly dashed, and in the totally expected way. A brief read over this blog entry by Citizendium author DaveyDweeb (read Larry's comments especially; they are quite illuminating) demonstrates pretty clearly the fatal egotism of Larry Sanger. I now see why Jimbo disinvited Larry: Larry's tendency to authoritarian leadership is not only completely at odds with Jimbo's leadership style (not that I don't have issues with Jimbo's leadership style, but Larry is too far the other way), but Larry's need to sate his own ego clearly prevents him from "letting go" enough to let Citizendium (or, I suspect, any other project of any size) succeed.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly,

    I think it's a bit of a stretch to go from a few comments Larry made while sick from the flu to grand sweeping predictions of Citizendium's death. But if you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

    Mike Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    I'm not willing to give Larry a whole lot of slack for being sick.

    My suggestion is that you get rid of Larry. But, of course, if you do that, he'll just petulantly shut down the site, and then start yet another one under another name in six months, with new suckers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly,

    That's a fairy cynical view of things. All I can say is, please try to keep an open mind.

    ReplyDelete