Sunday, February 11, 2007

Turned away by security at Obama's Chicago event

I was planning to go to Obama's Chicago appearance this evening. We had tickets and everything. We got there in reasonable time and waited in line for admittance, but upon reaching the door I was informed by security that I would not be permitted to enter with my dSLR. (This despite the fact that I had already seen several people with dSLRs enter.) Apparently the UIC Pavilion considers "cameras with detachable lenses" a security risk because (get this) someone might be tempted to throw the lens. Yeah, right. If there's a risk that I might throw my detachable lens, then there's just as much a risk that I might throw a cheap disposable camera, most of which cost less than the EF and EF-S lenses that my Canon 400D uses.

I was not interested in handing my camera over to some check counter (yeah, right, I'm going to hand over $1200 in midrange photography equipment just because the professional photographer lobby has managed to convince your security people that amateurs with dSLRs are a "security risk"), and so we left the venue. So much for the idea of getting decent photographs of Obama.

I did manage to get a few half-decent shots in on Saturday. Here's one of the best:

If Obama continues to appear in such restricted forums, though, I won't likely be able to do much better, unless, that is, I manage to score press credentials somehow. Maybe I can get them from WikiNews.

4 comments:

  1. Aha!

    But that sucks! Seriously.
    I mean, I guess they're not scared if you throw the lens attached to the body?

    That is so silly.
    Were you allowed to take handbags? laptops?

    *sighs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were allowed handbags. I don't know if we would have been allowed laptops as I didn't have one and I didn't see anyone who obviously had one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you sport a Canon 400D, how come you proclaim poverty, asked for contributions to help you visit Wikimania 2006, and posted a "tipjar" to PayPal on your WP page for such a length of time?

    Sorry, but you seem to be a fraud. Please feel free to explain yourself here.

    I do support Obama BTW.

    dudeman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone close to me received a substantial windfall in November. The 400D was a gift from that person.

    Next time, be a bit more careful who you accuse of fraud, ok? That was really hurtful, and completely uncalled for.

    ReplyDelete